They say that amateurs talk tactics, while professionals talk Logistics. However, when you look at most tabletop miniature games logistics is rarely mentioned. In a basic sense, the logistics is making sure your units have ammo, food, fuel, etc. that keeps them in fighting trim. Forces with poor logistics tend to have a tougher time fighting against a better logistical prepared foe. Many times, strategy is about creating those logistical mis-matches.
1. The focus is on the tip of the spear. Players want things that go boom. Logistics do not make things go boom. Maybe, it makes your foe's tummy grumble. That is not exciting.
2. Cognitive load is limited. Players can only track so much from a rules level, they want to focus on things that go boom! Logistics is seen as secondary.
3. Players want to focus on tactical challenges and not strategic challenges on the table. Strategic challenges are for pre-and post battle sequences, not on the table itself.
4. Imbalanced logistics can lead to lop-sided battles. Lop-sided battles are not perceived as fun.
5. These are games and not simulations. Real life is only tangential to the reality of the game.
|A Freighter in Aeronautica Imperialis V1|
Why Include Logistics
1. It is a great way to add Friction to a game!
2. Mirrors real-world scenarios
3. Logistics wins wars
4. Adds a novel bit of Chrome or a unique niche for your wargame
Let's face it. Logistics is the key to real-world warfare. It is not tactics and strategy, it is which ever side can get the fuel, ammo, and food to their troops that tends to win the wars. Therefore, adding logistics seems like a critical element that many wargames "gloss over".
Of course, when considering logistics you also want to consider the "scale" of your wargame. Skirmish games will represent this differently from Mass Battle games, that will reflect Logistics differently than a Grand Strategy game. In skirmish games, it is getting ammo or similar key resources to the troops in a timely way. In Grand Strategy it will focus on the procurement and resource development needed.
|Aeronautica Imperialis V1 Convoy Raid|
- Last Days: Zombie Apocalypse - Skirmish
- Battlegroup: Kursk - Unit vs. Unit Battle Game
- A Billion Suns - Unit vs Unit Game
|Logistics make good Objectives|