Here we are, the close of another year. It is hard to believe. If feels like the Pandemic started just a few months ago, yet here we are two years in. 2020 has slipped away, and now 2021 has also slipped away. I am getting old! The years are going by fast, but I am pretty sure I still have a few good years left in me.
Like previous years, I made a few goals to try and accomplish this year and to keep me on the rails. As usual, there is nothing binding about them. They are more like suggested guiderails. I think these goals successfully kept me from jumping from project to project.
Like most years, I broke my goals down into a few categories:
- Purchases- Things I spend money on
- Painting and Modeling- Things I paint and build
- Playing Games- The games I play and report on
- Rules Writing- New Projects and games I am working on
- Miscellany- Other things related to Blood and Spectacles Publishing that do not fit into the other categories.
This year, 90% of my purchases were to support future potential releases for Blood and Spectacles Publishing. Here is what I purchased.
- Victrix Viking Army for my Viking Age rules project
- Victrix Republican Romans for Wars of the Republic from Osprey
- Kikko "Not Gundam" Plastic Mecha for my Glittering Void rules project
- Reaper Nativity Scene
- Gangs of Rome PDF - Footsore
- Gamma Wolves - Osprey
- A Billion Suns - Osprey
- Absolute Emperor - Osprey
- Stargrave - Osprey
- Paleomythic - Osprey
- Dune: Adventures in the Imperium - Modiphius
- Ruthless Blades, Righteous Blood- Osprey
- Dungeons and Dragons 5E (PHB and DMG) - Wizards of the Coast
- Those Dark Places - Osprey
- Legend of the 5 Rings 3rd Edition - AEG
- Monster of the Week - Evil Hat Productions
I did not get to purchase the following:
- Tumbling Dice Korean War aircraft for White Star/Red Star rules
- Oathsworn Burrows and Badgers models
- Roman 28mm Triarri - 20
- Roman 28mm Principes/Regulars - 30
- Roman 28mm Hastati/Militia - 50
- Roman 28mm Skirmishers - 20
- Flying Warships - 2
- Roman 28mm Veteran Legion - 20
- Roman 28mm Velites - 20
- Viking 28mm Skirmishers - 10
- Viking 28mm Warriors - 50
- Space Mecha - 17
- Ancient 28mm Slingers - 10
- Etruscan 28mm Hoplites - 30
- Etruscan 28mm Axemen - 10
- Ancient 28mm Irregular Infantry - 20
- Nativity 28mm - 10
This was another surprise success! I was pretty conservative with my gaming goals. However, there were some things I knew I would need to focus on. This year, I mostly focused on my own game systems that needed to be tested or promoted. My goal was one game a month, so 12 games. However, I ended up playing 25! That is two a month!
|Wars of the Republic - Greeks vs Romans|
Here is what I got to play:
- Glittering Void - 2
- Men of Bronze - 1
- Classic Battletech - 2
- Blucher - 2
- Only the Strong Survive- 1
- Blood Bowl- 2
- Castles in the Sky - 4
- White Star/Red Star - 1
- Turf War - 1
- Heirs of Empire - 1
- Homer's Heroes - 1
- Wars of the Republic - 6
- In Strife and Conflict - 1
|Heirs to Empire|
My RPG and Wargame group all got vaccines and boosters pretty early on and that helped us get more games in. In addition to the wargames, I have been having a regular RPG session once a week as well. There we have mostly focused on D&D 5e but have had the occasional One-Shot as well. I even got to GM a one-shot of Those Dark Places.
I have been writing away, but much of my work is not ready for primetime OR supplements for existing games. I have been slowed a bit by the Post-Production efforts related to some of my new games.
1. Complete Castles in the Sky for Osprey- Complete
2. Update The Games: Blood and Spectacles - Started, but only about 50% complete
3. Try to get a new work published- Made a few pitches, but no new progress.
4. Move a WIP Game to the Wargame Vault - I have gotten three new items to the Vault. Warships: Paper Ships, Steel Resolve, Combat! Starring Vic Morrow, and Revolt! A Wars of the Republic Supplement.
I still have a lot of rules in the hopper, but not across the finish line yet.
|Coming in June 2022|
These are random gals related to "running the business" and other local efforts that may or may not be exciting to my dear readers. However, they are still things I want to get done.
1. I got a blog post up every week!
2. I kept my painting and gaming tracker up-to-date all year!
3. I tied the content of the online presence closer together. The Website is still a bit behind though, that is harder to update than the others.
4. I spent some time talking to other game designers via social media. Not a huge success, but some progress.
5. A new, better website was launched!
|A man and his chicken....|
Overall, a very successful year! Lot's of stuff painted, lot's of games played, and a decent amount of purchasing and rules writing. If it wasn't a Blood and Spectacles game though, chances are it hit the back burner.
Now, to make some goals for 2022!