Well, look at the time. It sure does fly by when you are having fun.... or something. Another year in the books. Yikes. They keep going by faster and faster.
When the year started, I had no real plan for what I was going to do. This was a big change from my previous few years when I had very clear goals. This one I came in a bit unsure where I wanted to go. It was the first year in several where I did not have a book being published that I had to support. In a way it was going to be a much more relaxed year! This led to a rather unproductive year in a few categories, but success in other areas.
- Purchases - Things I bought
- Painting and Modeling - Things I built and finished off
- Playing - The games that I played
- Rules Writing - What I wrote
- Miscellany - The stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else
Finally by the second half of the year I got my "Big Project for 2023" started. I picked up two armies for the Battle of Kadesh; Egyptians and Hittites. I ordered them from Baccus 6mm and also picked up 60mm x 60mm bases to go with them. That was my "big" purchase for 2023.
Most of my work the second half of the year has been focused on the Big Project. Above you can see some of the progress on my Egyptian 6mm forces. Looking back, I have painted a lot of 6mm this year. Perhaps that was an unofficial theme for 2023?
I also got to play and complete a campaign for the Ionian Revolt. That was a fun campaign where we used land and sea elements to follow along the historical campaign. We used Osprey Poseidon's Warriors and Men of Bronze to play the games. That gave my "historical" wargaming a nice boost for the year.
The next big element of my gaming was playing more of the Operation: Hemlock campaign. This is a campaign set in the Warhammer 40K universe, but my Skumgrod and I used a variety of games to play out the campaign. This year was no exception as we used Aeronautica Imperialis, Restless Sun, Restless Stars, and Aquanautica Imperialis.
I also got a few new rulesets and adventure packs started. However, nothing over the finish line or ready to show yet. A lot of grinding and not finishing this year. Hopefully that will make next year a very productive year in writing with lots of rules and campaigns hitting the shelf.
- Late Roman
- Aztec Flower Wars
- Darkest Knights - Solo- Horror
- Glittering Void - Space Mecha Combat and RPG
- G.I. Joe RPG Campaign
- Module for Flashlight: Tales of Terror
- Another Year in Rokugan
- Update Trackers on the blog for painting and playing? Check
- Get a game group going and expanding? Check
- Quarterly Wargaming events? Ahhhh....... at least the group has been getting together bi-weekly.
- Weekly RPG Campaign? Mostly check!
- Charity Game? Ahhhh.......
- Game Design content monthly on the blog? Check
- Patreon updates on a regular basis? Check
- Work on a local Con? Hmmmm..... put it off mostly
- Start hitting the convention circuit
- Lean into more Podcasts, Interviews, etc.
- Start doing talks and events about wargame design, publishing, history, etc.
- Write more articles for magazines
- Start a video series/Podcast
- Better tables
- Start that Con