Tuesday, January 30, 2024

On The Painting Desk- 5-Day Challenge - Day 2


Day 2 of the challenge, and I had the squad all assembled and ready to go.  I even managed to prime it with Grey Seer.  Not bad for the first day!  

Going into Day 2, I knew I wanted to finish the priming step before speed painting.  That normally means giving the models a dark grey wash and then dry brushing white over the top.  I managed to finish that fairly early in the day. 

Statues? 

Right away I sorted them into a few groups and painted them about 5 different skin tones as a base.  I then used Speedpaint to get a greyish/black hair.  So far, so good.  

Now came the hard part.  I took a look at my Speed Paints and decides I was going to try to make White Armor, Purple Tabards, and Grey-Blue weaponry.  I got to work on a test model, and quickly realized that my plan was not going to work.  The white was just not working.  I tried a few different mixes and styles, and.... well it was not going to happen that way.  It was just coming out grey.  It was about mid-day and I knew I was going to have to go back to the drawing board on this design.  

This is white, huh?  

I really wished I had a test model to play around with, but I didn't really have one available and I didn't have the time.  I had to decide if I was just going to go all out with Mummy Robes, Matte White, or do something totally different.  After looking at it for a bit longer and looking at my Speedpaints, I decided to go with my Mummy Robes color and see what happened.  At least from there, I could maybe give it a wash and dry brush back-up with regular white if I needed to.  

Not great yet, but it never is at this stage of painting.....


After this, I decided to go back over the armor again with a very thin wash of Holy White Speedpaints and then edge the armor with Matte white to see what happened with it.  

They have white armor, honest! 

Well, after all day, the picture looks almost the same as when I started today!  LOL! 

I think I am finally happy with the white armor and it will look much better when the contrast colors go on the minis.  The funny thing is, after all that work, I will probably mess it all up once I start putting the purple on the tabards and sleeves.  However, I have used this purple before and have a pretty good idea of what it will turn out looking like; unlike the Holy White Speedpaint.

Hopefully, I can be more productive tomorrow.  Only three days left to go!  


Become a Patron and get access to all the cool stuff, a peak behind the curtain of Blood and Spectacles, and early-access to playtest games!  


You can follow Blood and Spectacles Facebook page or Instagram for more fun! 

Check out the latest publications and contact me at our Blood and Spectacles website

Or purchase all out games at the Blood and Spectacles Publishing Wargames Vault Page!    






  




No comments:

Post a Comment