Welcome to 2022, the Dawn of a New Age! Okay.... probably a bit of hyperbole. However, it is a chance for me to review what I have in the old Work-In-Progress pile and decide what I might actually try to complete work on in 2022.
Like previous years I will be putting in some goals to act as guard rails so that I do not go wandering down a garden path and not get anything done! They are more for my protection and safety. After all, it is easy to get swept away by what is shiny and new in this hobby! However, I want to keep my goals flexible enough that I can respond to what is happening in the Wargaming world around me too.
Like most years, I will be breaking this down into the usual categories:
- Purchases- Things I plan to buy
- Painting and Modeling- Things I plan to paint and build
- Playing- Games that I will put on the table
- Rules Writing- Old projects to complete, and new ones to start
- Miscellany- All the boring stuff that doesn't fit someplace else!
I feel it necessary to start this section of the Goals with a huge "Thank You!". As I have said many times, you make this section possible! Every time you purchase a product from the Wargame Vault, buy one of my books from Osprey, or become a patreon; you are helping keep Blood and Spectacles Publishing moving forward. Without your purchases, I could not get the products for me to review, the artwork for post-production, the models for the painting desk, or the terrain in the featured battle reports. Your support makes this all possible, and allows me to keep making games.
With that said, creating games requires more than just writing rules. The hardest part is the play-testing, editing, and post-production work. The purchases I have listed below fall into two main categories. The first, is items I need to complete or finalize rules and supplements. The second are research or marketing items to keep me making new content. 95% of purchases are to help expand and grow Blood and Spectacles Publishing and get more games into your hands!
So, here is what I would like to purchase for 2022:
- Dark Age Irish from Wargames Atlantic to help complete my Viking Age project
- Gripping Beast Dark Age Miniatures to complete my Viking Age project
- Tumbling Dice Korean War aircraft for White Star/Red Star rules
- Victrix Persians for an Ionian Revolt supplement for Men of Bronze
- Stay caught up with the Osprey Wargaming Series
- Purchase The Silver Bayonet for Review
- Purchase 1+ Indie wargame rules for review
- Miscellaneous miniatures for a few Horror Games I am working on
|These Vikings need some Dark Age Irish to fight!|
Painting and Modeling
The last three years I have been super productive on this front. Therefore, going into 2022, my back log of things to paint is clean. Last year, I painted 300+ models, and the two years before were closer to 150+ each year. However, this has cleared my desk so that I can work on the new Purchases.
- A Dark Age Irish Army from Wargame Atlantic
- Victrix Persian Army for Ionian Revolt Supplement
- Korean Air War aircraft from Tumbling Dice
- A Unit or Two of Gripping Beast Dark Age troops
I was contemplating if this was the year I was finally going to get into Nappies! However, upon review of my writing and rules projects I have opted to stay clear. Instead, I want to focus on projects for the business in 2022. No time for Nappies!
|A Viking Age Project? It is very close to being done!|
Typically, I get about 12-18 games in a year. 2021, I got 25 games in! I do not expect to repeat that success. I have a long running, regular RPG group commitment now as well as my wargaming group too. That said, I expect to get about 12-18 games in this year, with a lot of Castles in the Sky getting played since it is launching in June of 2022 from the Osprey Wargaming Series.
- Play 4-6 games of Castles in the Sky
- Play 4-6 Ancients games based on one of the Blood and Spectacles systems
- 2-4 games of White Star/Red Star
- 2-4 games of other systems either from Blood and Spectacles, Work-in-Progress or other systems
- Chariot Wars
- Post-Martian Invasion Survival Horror
- The Glittering Void- Space Mecha Theatre
- Homer's Heroes
- Late Roman
- Solo/Co-op Monster Hunting
- Aztec Flower Wars
|Space Mecha for Glittering Void|
I am not sure that I will be actually up for all of those, but I want them on my radar. I have started to build local connections and good will and I do not want to squander that opportunity.