I finished off the Frozen Horror so it is time for me to move onto my next set of expansions for Heroquest. This time, I am going to tackle the miniatures found in the two "smaller" expansions, Prophecy of Telor and Spirit Queen's Torment. These boxed sets came with alternate sculpts of the main enemies and a new hero each. I all ready painted the new Heroes at the end of 2025.
You may recall that these alternate enemy sculpts were new orcs with Hammers, alternate Abomination, some new Gobbos, female zombies, female mummies, sword-and-board skeletons, dread warriors with swords, a female Dread Sorcerer, and an alternate Gargoyle. These minis were all also cast in transparent plastic. Prophecy of Telor was an orange-red color, while Spirit Queen's Torment is a bluish-green. Therefore, I hemmed and hawed about what I wanted to do with them. Ultimately, I decided to just paint them up like normal minis for the game. I think they will be more versatile and likely to see the table that way.
So, that means the first step was to go ahead and get them undercoated! Will my usual methods work with these transparent plastic figures? To save time, and kill the suspense; the answer is Yes. Yes it does. Here they are after being sprayed in Grey Seer from GW, washed with dark grey wash, and drybrushed with cheap acrylic white.
For my first painting session, I decided to start by painting all the Undead at once. It did not matter which expansion they came from, I was going to paint them all together for ease and unity. I was all ready concerned about matching with my previous minis, so no need to make it worse by splitting these up into smaller batches.
The mummies are always where I start because they are super easy and you can build momentum quickly. I painted their eyes Blood Red, any exposed flesh Malignant Green, and then their hair Graveyard Grey. Then, I hit them with a Dark Wash. All Undead get a Dark Wash to make them extra scary looking!
Next were the Zombies. I painted them Malignant Green flesh and then gave them a Green Tone ink wash. From there it was simple to paint their dresses, belts, hair and gear. I kept their hair Graveyard Grey or uncolored and just based. Then, they got their Dark Wash and basing done.
Finally, I did the skeletons and for these ladies (You can't really tell with Skeletons, and since almost everything else is a female version these must be too right!) I decided to go off the reservation with my usual paint scheme. I decided to use Wizard Orb in order try to get a faded Bronze look to some of their gear. I also used Fire Giant Orange for a rusted look on the metals. The bones were of course Pallid Bone. I also used Talos Bronze, and Copper from my Metallic Speedpaint set. The final metal color was Graveyard grey. These ladies took the longest, but they came out very different from my usual batch of skeletons. Not sure my experiment worked 100%, but I will take it. I never go back and re-paint a painted model!
So, after a day of effort, here is where the Undead ended up..... ooooh, scary!
With the Undead finished, it was time to turn to the Greenskins for this effort. I had 4 goblins and 4 Orcs, all in the same pose. I batch painted the Gobbos together and then the Orcs together the following weekend. However, I swear these Orc models are cursed. When I painted them up for Keller's Keep you may recall that I accidentally spray primed them instead of sealing them? Well, this time I painted them all using Orc skin as the flesh tone, not realizing until I was done with the models that the flesh tone was supposed to be Malignant Green like the Goblins! Arrrgggghhh! Therefore, I went back and reprimed the fleshy bitz and repainted them. I do not think it turned out that great, but they will blend in a bit better with thier fellows now.
The Goblin gear I kept mostly Magic Blue and Runic Grey to blend in with the OG Goblins. Weapons were Pallid Bone, Runic Grey, and Graveyard Grey. The other assorted straps was either Hardened Leather or Crusader Skin. The Orcs were pretty much all wearing Graveyard Grey armor which makes it look fierce and iron-like. I also used some Runic Grey, Pallid Bone, and Graveyard Grey on the hammer's to make them distinct weapons too. Their tabards were Blood Red, Magic Blue, Zealot Yellow, and Fire Giant Orange to help me tell them apart on the table if I need too.
That was two weekends of painting down, and a hefty chunk of the models for Spirit Queen's Torment and Prophecy of Telor done. These took about two weeks, and my painting total for the year is now hovering around 75+ models and they are all for Heroquest!
Next time, I will get those Abominations and the Dread forces painted from these two supplements. Once those are done, I will be at a cross-roads. Do I keep on going on Heroquest, do I switch over to Late Romans, or do I paint up my Travel Battle game as a break? Keep tuning in to find out!
Until next time!
Or purchase all out games at the Blood and Spectacles Publishing Wargames Vault Page!

No comments:
Post a Comment