Back to finish off the final miniatures from Spirit Queen's Torment and The Prophecy of Telor. I finished off the Greenskins and the Undead. However, that left the forces of Dread and the Abominations. So about 7 guys. However, the Dread Warriors, Gargoyle and Wizard I typically paint individually while the Abominations I batch. That means these guys took a weekend to complete.
First off, all these miniatures were all ready base-coated and ready to go. Therefore, I decided to work on one of the Dread Warriors first. I had the idea of a fallen former King's Guard knight who did not really even know he had fallen. Therefore, he was not in typical Dread livery, but instead Paladin like Golden armor with a white cloak.
Thankfully, I have a set of Metallic speedpaints, and one of the colors happens to be Golden Armor. How nice. I also wanted to use White for the cloak and Loincloth. The hardest part was the shield, because I wanted to incorporate the Golden Armor but not the whole thing! That would be too gaudy. Therefore, I used Zealot Yellow as the other color. Finally, I gave it a nice Light Tone wash and based the usual Heroquest way.
Behold..... Sir Beauregard the Chosen! Once and future champion of Kings! I guess I see him a bit like Sir Ragnar but this guy did not make it back.
As Sir Beauregard was drying I also worked on the Abominations. I had to go remind myself how I painted them in the Core set and Kellar's Keep. I used Plasmatic Bolt on their leg plates and tentacles with Abomination Green for the skin. That was the bulk of these guys. Their eyes are Zealot Yellow and their teeth and claws are Pallid Bone. Their loincloths are Zealot Yellow, Crusader Skin, and Fire Giant Orange. They got a Light Tone wash and based as normal.
From there, I went back to my last Dread Warrior. My Core set Dread Warriors were all painted in the colors of a different Chaos god. You may know them as Khorne, Slaaneshi, Nurgle, and Tzeentch. Well, I wanted to keep that theme and there was one Chaos God I had not painted. You know him, you love him; of course I am talking about Malal! The Chaos God opposed to the Chaos of the Chaos Gods.... or something. There was a concept and business reason he never made it into the big Chaos Gods club.
Anyway, one of the challenges of Malal was that his color scheme is not easy to paint! It is a Black and White checked or Quartered pattern! I had never done a quartered pattern before because they look like a right pain to paint! However, with this guy I was going to try it! I did not want Malal to be left out of the Dread Warrior club..... that would be bad luck!
I used the Black I use for the base edge to draw a line down the center of the model's chest and helmet. I made the right side arm and leg white, with the chest black. The opposite colors on the other side. I used Grim Black on the black side and a mix of pure white and Holy white on the white parts. I did the same on the hilt of his sword, and even quartered the cloak. The shield I followed the design but used Black and White mix. When I was done, I gave the whole thing a Dark Tone wash this time and based per usual methods.
That left the female Dread Wizard and her pet Gargoyle. Again, I had to recall how I painted the last Gargoyle from the Core set. I wanted that trad stone Gargoyle look. I turned out really easy! Runic Grey on claws, teeth, and horns. Red on the eyes. The rest was a watered down Dark Tone wash. Easy-peasy.
The Dread Wizard I wanted in Magic Blue and Yellow as those were the colors of Tzeentch. However, I also wanted to add the jewelry in Prismatic Green for a Jade style effect. I also used Aztec Gold for the metallics. It is one of my favorite of the metallics as it has a slightly greenish hue. I finished it up, gave it a dark wash and based as normal.
With that, I had two of my Heroquest mini-boxed sets finished. The only carry-over from 2025 is the Jungles of Delthrak now, and I have painted all the Heros and Merc critters from that all ready. Still a big accomplishment as I am now above 80+ models painted for the year.
That said, I think I am going to pivot and paint something different next. I need a break from Heroquest for a bit.
Or purchase all out games at the Blood and Spectacles Publishing Wargames Vault Page!

No comments:
Post a Comment