On this blog I rarely talk about the painting or modeling side of things. Of all the aspects of wargaming it is one of my least favorite aspects. Clearly, it is not imperative to me as I am more than willing to use Paper Templates to play a game. However, I am also attracted to the spectacle of wargaming and prefer to have actual painted models when I can. Sadly, for that to happen that means I have to paint them. I am no great shakes at painting and do not really enjoy it.
Recently, I re-read my Goals for 2017 and the progress I had made on them up to July. I have been making good progress on my playing and designing goals. The main things that had been holding me back on my 2017 goals were the painting side of things. With only two months left of the season, I had better get cracking on with some painting if I wanted to improve from July!
Suitably motivated, I went online and finally ordered those Victrix Limited Greeks I was going to need for Men of Bronze. I ordered enough models, bases, and transfers for 1 Spartan army, 1 Corinthian army, and 1 Macedonian army. I told myself that had been one of my 2017 Goals, so I was helping get me closer to finishing them! The second reason I had to act now is that I needed to get 30 digital photos of Greek Hoplite miniatures to Osprey prior to May 2018 for my deadline.
With that out of the way, I decided to head into the old Game Cave and find some of those projects that I still needed to paint. Many people have a dedicated painting area where they keep all of their projects to work on. I do not do that. Instead, I keep everything stored and packed away. I only pull it out when I actually intend to paint something, and when I am done I tend to pack it all away. Thanks to this approach, I do not have many “On The Painting Desk” type moments. This is very different from how I handle wargames, as I will get them all set-up and leave them set-up to play until I play the game, and then switch out the table for the next game I intend to play. That is why the Messageboard has threads dedicated to what is ‘on the table” to play, but not to paint.
So, here is what I pulled up out of the gaming area and set-up to work on this weekend, we will see if any of it even has a brush applied to it before it ends up packed back away.
First up we have a Spartan Games Prussian air ship. The actual name escapes me, but it is a big one. I will be using this for games of AeronauticaImperialis as a Varingyr Warlord Super-heavy aircraft. You can also see four Steel Crown Valkyrie Gunships that I will also be using for Aeronautica Imperialis as Varingyr Iron Eagles with ground attack weapons. I have painted a usable force of Varingyr using Steel Crown models, and you can see them in a number of Battle Reports on the blog. This will just fully round the force out. Sadly, I think Spartan Games and Steel Crown are now defunct.
Next up, I have some Mobile Artillery Steam Tanks for All Quiet on the Martian Front. As you can see, these still require some assembly of the metal parts. I will need to go get some super glue for this project. I look forward to adding them to my Minnesota Volunteer Army to help push back the Red Menace in the Minnesota River Valley campaign. I have had these since the end of last year and I assembled the plastic parts of the kit early, I did was put off by the metal components.
Lastly, I have a few models for Turf War. These are models I picked up when I ordered Pulp Alley. I think they are called DA Thompson and the Red Queen, but I am not 100%. Either way, they looked like they would be great models to get my gangsters started for games of Turf War. I figured I could also use them in Strange Aeons, Pulp Alley, or Mad Dogs with Guns pretty easily. That will make them nice versatile models once I get them painted up.
That is what I have on my desk for the weekend. Typically, I tend to have more than one painting or converting project going at once so as one dries I can rotate to the others. I normally only have a scant few minutes to paint so I try to maximize any time I can sit down and get to work. I am hoping I can lavish some attention on these models and show some results soon.