Monday, September 9, 2024

On the Painting Desk: Finishing off Against the Ogres - Heroquest

 

I finished my Heroquest core set, and picked up the Against the Ogres as my first supplement so that I could add the ranged enemies into my collection.  I was pretty impressed with the quality of the models and the supplement in general.  However, I can't play it until I have all the models painted.  Therefore, I got to work making sure I had it all painted. 

Last time, I painted up the furniture first, then the new heroes, and the Skeleton archers.  That left me with the missile goblins, archer orcs, and the Ogres themselves.  As usual, I undercoat primed them with Grey Seer spray.  Then, I gave them a dark grey wash then day brushed them white.  They were all ready for me to start with Armpainter Speedpaints.  So, let's get into it....

I decided to start with the Goblins.  For some reason, these guys gave me a hard time.  Perhaps it was the small detail, perhaps I wasn't sure how to paint them?  I figured a good place to start was malignant green skin to get me started.  I really loved the boomerangs as missile weapons, unique and fun weapons for the little guys.  I wanted to mostly have Magic Blue as their main color.  

After the goblins, I moved onto the Orc bowman.  Unlike the Goblins, the Orcs are wearing some decent armor, chunky.  I had been using Greylord Grey for the armor.  It gives is a very wrought iron and roughly finished look.  The skin is Malignant Green again to tie them into the Goblins.  The Bows are Pallid Bone.  The most fun was choosing the colors for the female Orc's hair.  I like deciding hair colors when I paint.  


That finished off my Greenskins!  They were ready to take on some Heroes and show them why Zargon's victory was inevitable!  


Okay, with the Greenskins done it was time to focus on the Ogres.  I wanted to make them different from the other enemies, so I wanted  unique "Ogre" skin-tone for them.  The Skeletons were Pallid Bone, the Orcs/Gobbos used Malignant Green, and I used various skin tones for the Heroes.  Therefore, I did some testing and decided on Sand Golem brown for the Ogre skin.  I also decided I did not want m Ogres to have much "modern" metal, so I limited them to Golds, Bronze, and Coppers.  After all, Bone weapons are a common feature in the quests.  This gave them a very earth-tone look.  


You may notice that I used Absolution Green as a unique "Ogre" hair color, as well as Graveyard Grey which provided a black hair look. Again, I gave each one a unique "color" to help differentiate them a bit if needed in game.  I have tried to do that for all the miniatures in the game.  None of them are exactly the same.  

This left me with the final three "Character" model miniatures from the Boxed set.  They are an Ogre Champion/Gladiator, a Ogre Warlord, and the Ogre king.  After getting them primed with the rest, I decided to paint them each individually.  I painted all their exposed skin first.  Then, I actually painted from their feet up, trying to go the lowest details first.  This way, I was layering up the model.  

Here is the Ogre Champion and Ogre General.  The Fierce Weaselmancer is there for scale.  

That left me with just one model for my Against the Ogre Horde box.  The last model was the biggest one of the set yet!  The Ogre King.  I painted him all by himself, no other projects on the table.  I started like the other character Ogres, all the skin first using Sand Golem.  Then, I got too work painting from the feet up.  There is a surprising amount of detail in this boardgame model and it takes paint after priming very easily.  Good definition in all of these models so far.  


Well, that's my first Heroquest supplement down.  I should probably get playing the core campaign soon!  Then, I can think about what supplement I want to get next.  Part of me wants Kellar's Keep and Return of the Witchlord so that I have all the core campaigns.  However, those boxes do not really add anything but more models I all ready have and quests.  I am really interested in adding more Hero types next.  That might sway my decision to a different set. I am open to suggestions for which Heroquest supplement is the best to get next.  

However, it will be a bit of time until I paint any more Heroquest!  My next project is some more Persians, this time I want to add some chariots to my force so that I can do the Battle of Cunaxa from Xenophon's Anabasis some day/  Those models are from Wargames Atlantic, so I am interested to see how they fit in with my Victrix minis.  

Speaking of Victrix, I also picked up an army of Anglo-Saxons from them.  Those were the intended main adversary for my Fury of the Northman rules.  However, I made an army of Wargames Atlantic Dark Age Irish to fight my Victrix Vikings first.  The Anlgo-Saxons will be about 50-60 miniatures or so.  Both of these projects I will most likely NOT be using Speedpaint, and using my more traditional base colors and a wash methods to match the rest of my historical forces.  That should be interesting to see how that goes. 

Until next time! 


Become a Patron and get access to all the cool stuff, a peak behind the curtain of Blood and Spectacles, and early-access to playtest games!  



You can follow Blood and Spectacles Facebook page or Instagram for more fun! 

Check out the latest publications and contact me at our Blood and Spectacles website

Or purchase all out games at the Blood and Spectacles Publishing Wargames Vault Page!    

         


No comments:

Post a Comment