Monday, May 8, 2023

Kill Team: Games Workshop- Kill Team Photo Dump

 

My local gaming group has been very interested in playing Games Workshop's Kill Team game system.  Therefore, that is probably my most played game of 2023.  Personally, I tried to get off the GW band wagon around the end of 5th edition or so.  However, I had played the game since Rogue Trader days.  I have a reasonable number of Orks, Eldar, Space Marine, and even Imperial Guard armies.  Therefore, playing games of Kill Team is a rather low effort affair for me.  Other people have the rules and I have all the models I need.  Plus, the others tend to have more than 1 team, so I can try out their cast-offs too.  

I don't normally write-up my reports for the Kill Team games I play as those days at with the gaming group can be kind of tough to write much of anything down.  However, I do try to grab a few photos now and then.  Therefore, this thread is dedicated to my Kill Team photos, interspersed with some thoughts on the game.  

My first 40K miniatures and Rogue Trader Eldar vs. my most recent Corsair Kill Team Eldar

 I ended up going out and buying a Corsair Kill Team because I was under the impression from Blood Bowl that the set may have the rules for the team in it.  Wrong, wrong, wrong.  It is funny to me that if you buy a Blood Bowl team it has the basic rules to play the game in the box, but Kill Team doesn't.  That made me a bit made, so I have not bought a Kill Team box since.  Plus, I am not convinced yet that I want to pay $5-$7 per plastic mini yet for future boxes.  This was one of the reasons I moved away from GW games. 

Ork Sneaky Gitz try to get into position while Da' Boss holds the objective

The game itself is refreshing in the sense that Games Workshop is really trying to modernize the core rules of their games and bring it inline with modern trends.  There is no more clunky BS and WS charts as an example.  Hand-to-Hand is a bit more interesting with the parry, crit, and dice comparison rules.  These are just two examples.  It really does much more modern than I was expecting.  

However, there are a few trends I am not a fan of.  The first is the "bespoke" movement tools and converting all movement and ranges into a symbol.  Next, is the crazy amount of tokens used in the game.  Another gripe is the use of "Hit Points" which I can not stand in wargames.  

Whether I like or dislike a change their is no doubt that the game is designed to appeal to a more modern wargame audience.  Their is an obvious effort in this game to make the game balanced, even if the end result makes it feel a bit gamey.  

RT and 2nd Edition Eldar hit the table

At this stage, the rules still hold together fairly well.  However, I typically only use the Compendium teams which are stripped down versions.  The special Kill Teams are loaded down with all sorts of special rules and exceptions.  Typical GW, but it is what the market wants.  

If you think about Narrative, Gamist, Simulationist spectrum, this game falls squarely on the "gamist" side of things.  The basic Kill Team had no campaign rules so their is no reason NOT to fight to the last man.  I have won a few games with all of my guys dead, but I won on Objectives.  That is clearly a Gamist take on things. 

Ork Boyz move on the objectives

There is no doubt that the new terrain and models are top notch in looks, quality, and visual appeal.  Of course, the inevitable scale creep has happened, and that is just a sign of the times.  With the increase in quality though is an increase in cost as well.  

Stickin' in da boot! 

I have no issue playing Kill Team with my local group.  To me, the game still takes just a tad too long, but that is mostly us jabbering instead of playing!  The rules core rules are pretty straight forward, and the Command Points to trigger special rules for each "turning point" or action is fun.  The Objectives are balanced, even if sometimes they don't make sense narratively, they make sense for a close game.  Plus, there are more than enough factions and Kill Teams to keep it interesting.  You never are exactly sure who can do what across the board from you! 

One of the few times my Corsairs hit the board, and I was not even playing them! 

Overall, I am satisfied with my games of Kill Team.  I am especially satisfied as I am not the one buying and providing the rules.  I am happy to let others take the lead on this one.  If I also had to keep up with the rules updates and faction updates, I would probably be less inclined to play.  It seems like a new boxed set with new rules is coming out every 6 months, and that is a pace I can not keep up with! I couldn't even get the new models painted and ready to play fast enough!  However, since I have a ton of models and not buying the rules I am happy to play what the other folks want to play. 


As an added benefit, we have attracted more new players to our little corner of the gaming world thanks to Kill Team.  We have grown more playing Kill Team than we did playing Castles in the Sky, Historicals, and other games.  It helps that we have been much more consistent in our game nights too.  That growing player base is enough of a reason to keep pulling the game out and putting in on the table.  

Sure, I am agitating to play some Force-on-Force in 15mm, more 28mm Ancients, and we are playing games of Castles in the Sky pretty regularly.  However, nothing seems to be able to attract eyeballs and players than Kill Team.  That right there is reason enough to keep playing.  



Become a Patron and get access to all the cool stuff, a peak behind the curtain of Blood and Spectacles, and early-access to playtest games!  


You can follow Blood and Spectacles Facebook page or Instagram for more fun! 

Check out the latest publications and contact me at our Blood and Spectacles website

Or purchase all out games at the Blood and Spectacles Publishing Wargames Vault Page!





No comments:

Post a Comment